Thursday, November 12, 2009

Don’t Let Seasickness Ruin Your Cruise?



Mal de Mer is a rather pleasant French term for seasickness. Unfortunately for those who get it, a not so comfortable circumstance. And to top this, how annoying that the person next to you is just fine, Ugh!!!

To share my personal experience on seasickness, I got married on a catamaran in Maui and I recall Roger had this panic look as he asked me how I was doing? My response of course, “Fine”…somehow I don’t think he believed me, he looked worried & no doubt thought I might have changed my mind in going through with this marriage. I'm pretty sure that he was truly thinking just that especially after I saw the photos that my girlfriend developed of me being a white ghost bride. Poor Rog’ no wonder he was concern. Roger’s solution was for me to take Dramamine as I was unaware of Bonine or the patch, Scopolamine at the time. If Dramamine is your choice, be sure it is the non-drowsy kind, as I remember being pretty sleepy during our ceremony & especially after the champagne (but I nonetheless managed to say “Yes”, so all was well).

However these days on these cruises, I opt for asking my doctor for a prescription of the patch. This works the best for me! And a final tip, stay away from the ships maintenance, on the catamaran. I remembered smelling the diesel fuel and I hadn’t eaten anything as well. So before boarding get a good breakfast, and hydrate. But stay away from acidic & greasy food. Fruit and bagel worked well for me.

To reassure you about our cruise, today the ships are much larger and have these wonderful stabilizers to help steady the rocking motions. The Carnival Ship Medical Center does carry Meclizine (Bonine) for distribution, if you find you need it. But as I always say, never hurts to be prepared. When in doubt get it & take it before you board. So here are a few links for you to check out and read up on to help you prepare, just in case…

SEASICKNESS.about.com

Dr Dave and Dr Dee

Carnival Cruise FAQ

Top Adventure.seasickness

Seasickness & Hypnosis



No comments:

Post a Comment