Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Do I Need to Get a U.S. Passport?


When the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders our U.S. Passports became our primary travel ID. So it's my personal recommendation to have you apply for a passport if you don't have one. And if you DO have a passport, DOUBLE CHECK your expiration date, so your passport is valid for at least six months from our cruise date. For information about obtaining a passport for the first time, or about renewing a passport, visit the U.S. Department of State's Web site.

Do I have another alternative? Our cruise is a "closed looped"cruise and so I believe there are other alternatives. Please read the details on the Carnival Cruise Line Passport Requirement website for more information as well as on the U.S. Department of State's website on Mexico .

Finally in closing for those who tend to procrastinate, one of my life adventure was when I had to assist my girlfriend Martie's college daughter in getting a new passport. It seems that her passport did not have the valid 6 month window for her travel period. The waiting period was unrealistic for our turnaround needs (long wait) and the last minute ordeal & stress was truly not a way to start off any trip. There are agencies that can expedite your passport process. But, it will COST YOU. So my suggestion is GET IT NOW and save your dollars for that fabulous souvenir or spa treatment you wanna do on your cruise. When our friends Buzz & Karen applied for their renewal the turnaround time was surprisingly quick. But, one never knows how this truly works. So my recommendation is ...Please Don't Delay!

Photo provided by Flickr.nathanborror

No comments:

Post a Comment